Moderator: adnan

Did you find this post helpfull?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 14

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:14 pm

I have a Mondeo 130bhp 04 reg Ghia estate, diesel. While driving there is a lot of black smoke coming from my exhaust particularly when accelerating. Also the engine sometimes seem to shudder as though there is a mis fire or running out of fuel. Put my foot on the gas and the car is fine. Can anyone let me know what the problem might be????? Any ideas.

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi Could anyone help me as i have a 2004 mondeo tdci and the engine management light has come on and glow plugs lights flash on when I turn bends. Got it diaognistics got a page with the fault codes and it stated pressure sensor and other faults so I got engine rail and sensor fitted but it still has the problem. Would someone please help tell me what it could be ?? Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 am

adnan wrote:
My 2002 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 130bhp had the following problem:

Occasional loss of power while driving (flashing glow plug light while coasting to a stop)
Sometimes starts first time after power loss
Sometimes it could take 5 to 10 minutes for it to start
If it doesn't start then the glow plug light will be flashing
Noisy Engine

I read various forums on the internet, most of which pointed to a fault with Camshaft Position Sensor. There were many suggestions like:

Re-programme Injectors
ECU Problem
Injector Control Unit (ICU) problem
Change Fuel Filter and Pump
Faulty Turbo
Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor
Faulty
etc.

I decided to change the Camshaft Position Sensor as this had solved many similar problems, and was the cheapest option. I purchased it from a Ford Dealer for £18.50. Black sensors were faulty ones and should be replaced with grey ones as a precaution, even if the problem doesn't exist. It can be very dangerous if the car loses power on a round about, as the steering gets really hard. Replacing the sensor has fixed the problem, and here are the instruction on how I did it:

Please remember to disconnect the battery, and let me know if you need the radio codes.

Location of Camshaft Position Sensor:

Thanks for pointing out where it is, i have currently ordered a replacement part of it online and checking out the tools on my shed would replace it by tomorrow morning. thanks for the step by step breakdown :) cheers!

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:31 pm

My car has a grey camshaft sensor so i dont think its that. any other suggestion? could it be the injectors if so where can I buy it for the best price. Thanks

Post Tue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for a good how-to.

I have two questions.

(1)The electrical connection......It is tight on mine, (and haven broken many a similar connection) can someone say if there is a release tab? (& if so, where is it?)

(2)I intend to change my Black sensor as a precaution. But my symptoms are different?

ie Sometimes the engine has a "false start". It is as if it is only running on two cylinders and shimmies badly.
I switch off and start again and it usually runs normally. It has done this occasionally since I got the car 6 years ago, but is becoming more frequent. Any chance changing the sensor will fix this????

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for this excellent piece of information. I had this problem last Thursday, got a replacement sensor at local dealer for £23, replaced it that day and no problems since. Drove 200 mile round trip yesterday.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm

I've read the comments about 'loss of power' and now feel confident you have the info to restore my vehicle to the road. I look forward to collecting and fitting my new sensor tomorrow.
My battery has also gone flat. Faulty alternator?????

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:52 am

This short article truly impressed me. I had been searching some good info. during your search in the search engines found learn about your website.Should you continue posting articles or reviews in your site, there’s always a much better possibility that almost all fans will go to your blog.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:58 am
adnan Site Admin

Sorry I have lost the images from the server. I will find them and fix the links soon.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:43 pm
adnan Site Admin

Couldn't find the pictures. However downloaded them from Google Images and uploaded them. Unfortunately they are a bit small.

PreviousNext

Return to Cars