Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 14

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 pm
adnan Site Admin

My 2002 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 130bhp had the following problem:

Occasional loss of power while driving (flashing glow plug light while coasting to a stop)
Sometimes starts first time after power loss
Sometimes it could take 5 to 10 minutes for it to start
If it doesn't start then the glow plug light will be flashing
Noisy Engine

I read various forums on the internet, most of which pointed to a fault with Camshaft Position Sensor. There were many suggestions like:

Re-programme Injectors
ECU Problem
Injector Control Unit (ICU) problem
Change Fuel Filter and Pump
Faulty Turbo
Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor
Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
etc.

I decided to change the Camshaft Position Sensor as this had solved many similar problems, and was the cheapest option. I purchased it from a Ford Dealer for £18.50. Black sensors were faulty ones and should be replaced with grey ones as a precaution, even if the problem doesn't exist. It can be very dangerous if the car loses power on a round about, as the steering gets really hard. Replacing the sensor has fixed the problem, and here are the instruction on how I did it:

Please remember to disconnect the battery, and let me know if you need the radio codes.

Location of Camshaft Position Sensor:

Tools required:

Unscrew the bolt and pull the old sensor out.

Black one is the faulty one

I couldn't find any easy to follow instruction on the internet so decided to create some. Hope it is clear. Please let me know if you need more information.

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 53 plate - Loss of Power - Change Camshaft Sensor

Adnan,
Your symptoms of the problem are identical to mine.
It's happened about 6/7 times to me including once at 70mph on the A1. Loss of power and therefore power steering, could be a real issue if cornering, and especially for a woman.
Happened again last night whilst away on work in Newark, 2hours from home. Although it did restart, I wasn't going to risk another failure on the A1 as there is no hard-shoulder. called the rescue for relay. Job done.
Whilst on the way home, my partner searched the net. All sorts of stories, and expensive ones at that. 90% however seemed to be this sensor.
I had already done the Redex injector cleaner etc, and seemed ok for a couple of days, so had nothing to lose by following this.

So skipped straight to your excellent photo guide.
Phoned Ford locally just to check they had the part (£20 incl vat), asked the guy if they had stock - Yes, plenty came the reply. Asked him if this had been a fix for the issue, Yep came the reply.
So they obviously have the issue a lot !!
As with all things mechanical, I worry a bit, but it's easier than wiring a plug, although it was bloddy cold outside today.
Test drive OK, but will do another longer one later.
Will be doing about 500 miles over the next 3 days, so if this is a fix, I will respond again. Watch this space. I will be a happy man. I will also invest in a spare sensor.

Later
Mark

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm going to sign this off as a fix. Ten days of trouble-free driving with over 600 miles.
Best value for money fix I have ever done on a car, and the easiest.

Do yourselves a favour if you read this and have a black sensor on your Mondeo Diesel.
Just get to the Ford garage and but yourself a Camshaft Sensor.
10 mins - Job done

Take care
Mark

Post Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:15 am

Hi Adnan
nice pictures, I have a similar problem on my Mondeo 2 litre td 130 2004 model
I presume the same procedure will apply to the later model.

If I loose the radio codes what do I do then to reset the radio?

Les

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:04 am
adnan Site Admin

DIAGONALINE wrote:
Hi Adnan
nice pictures, I have a similar problem on my Mondeo 2 litre td 130 2004 model
I presume the same procedure will apply to the later model.

If I loose the radio codes what do I do then to reset the radio?

Les

Yes if the problem is the same, then this procedure should fix it. I can give you the radio code, but you will have to send me your stereo's serial number.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 pm

I have the problems that have been described here and hav bought the cam sensor to replace.

I asked at the dealer whether the battery must be disconnetced when replacing the sensor and was told that this type of snsor does not require it and that it also does not need to be coded to the engine management functions.

So do I really need to disconnect the battery and if so where is the stereo serial number as I would have to request you for the unlock codes later?

Thanks for any help offered.

Post Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:29 pm
adnan Site Admin

rocket-science wrote:
I have the problems that have been described here and hav bought the cam sensor to replace.

I asked at the dealer whether the battery must be disconnetced when replacing the sensor and was told that this type of snsor does not require it and that it also does not need to be coded to the engine management functions.

So do I really need to disconnect the battery and if so where is the stereo serial number as I would have to request you for the unlock codes later?

Thanks for any help offered.

I don't think you have to disconnect the battery. A few people in other forums have confirmed this.

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:58 pm

I didn't disconnect the battery, and had complete success. Without this post I would have had to have a vehicle recovery + what ever Ford would have charged. Thanks for the photos.

My symptoms were (on a hot day just after a short journey) total failure to start - the engine would turn over, but never fired.

For a novice to "newer" cars, it's worth knowing that the engine cover is removed by removing the dipstick, then just pulling it off upwards (it has 4 spring clips). My MG Midget doesn't have these luxuries!!

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:30 pm

I ve had this problem for quite some time .My mondeo cuts out any time over 50mph when trying to accellerate .Ford main agents have failed to identify this problem .The problem is the camshaft sensor and the battery doesnt need to be disconnected to replace the sensor . Thanks for the pictures and info to one and all .

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:53 pm

..duh.. my friend have that same problem too..

Next

Return to Cars